Friday, August 8, 2014

ABC Memory


I'm embarrassed to admit that we've been lax in helping our little guy (who is no longer little) learn his letters. He's starting alternative kindergarten in a little over a week and with that deadline rapidly approaching, we've been ramping up the literacy learning this summer.

With very little prep, I was able to whip together a simple memory game to work on the ABCs. 


I already had the Alphabet Blackout call cards, so I printed a second set. You can download them free here; print two sets of pages 4-6.


I picked letters from my son's name and a few others that he struggles with for a total of 16 cards (8 letters). Use more or less depending on your child's attention span and proficiency.

We scrambled them up and laid them face down and each boy took their turn flipping over two cards at a time to try and get a match of two of the same letter. If one of them got a match, they could take another turn. Otherwise, play alternated between the two.


The winner is the player with the most matches when all the cards have been paired up.

No comments:

Post a Comment