Friday, June 3, 2011

B D P Q Practice

Curse those darn lower case letters that look similar; they’re always tripping my son up. He’s mastered ‘p’ and ‘q,’ but ‘b’ and ‘d’ are a different story. To do some drills with him, I made a spinner featuring all four of these letters (download the template here).


I printed the first page of the spinner on heavy-duty colored construction paper, the second on regular office paper. Then I glued both to a recycled cereal box for sturdiness, cut them out, made a hole in the center, and threaded a brad through the center.


When he came home from school, I gave him the spinner and quizzed him asking:


What does (one of the words listed below) start with?
Quail
Dab
Pop
Dog
Bad
Quick
Play
Dunk
Ball
Door

What does (one of the words listed below) end with?
Map
Mad
Scab
Stop
Dab
Bad
Bob
Sob
Said
Lap

I randomly switched between the starts with/ends with questions so my son would have to listen carefully. To answer the questions, he turned the spinner to the appropriate letter.

I’d like to thank the I Can Teach My Child blog that inspired this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment